Google’s Algorithm: New Search Rankings for Mobile
April 9, 2015
Google has officially announced that they will be rolling out a NEW algorithm that will have a worldwide impact on mobile search results starting on April 21, 2015. Now this could be great news to some, and a bit alarming to others… The importance of Mobile Optimization has been a discussion for awhile now, so companies have had more than enough time to not only make your website mobile friendly, but tailor a really nice UX (User Experience) to your mobile audience.
Google’s mobile search rankings are getting overhauled in less than 2 weeks, and that means that any site that they can’t detect as mobile-friendly could see a major drop in mobile organic traffic. Here’s some things to examine closely with your mobile website:
1. Mobile Friendliness: Is your website mobile friendly for users? Doesn’t matter whether it is Adaptive or Responsive… As long as it’s mobile friendly, you’re good.
2. Touchscreen Readiness: Does the UX allow for easily tap target on their touchscreen? Large CTA buttons!
3. Mobile Compatibility: Make sure you’re not using Flash or Java, as they cannot be seen on all devices.
4. Font Size Legibility: Pretty self-explanatory… Your font is either readable or not.
5. Mobile Viewport: Does your mobile website adjust and render with the users devices, no matter what the size is?
6. Mobile Speed: When it comes to mobile browser, people usually don’t have the time or patience to wait for loading… Make sure wherever you are hosting your website, that is has fast loading times.
7. Mobile Frameworks: Straight forward, are you using any mobile frameworks?
After running through this checklist, I hope you can take a deep breath and realize that you and your Google Rankings are prepared. If you have this checklist complete and they competition doesn’t… Guess who just got some great news.
If you need any mobile assistance with your website, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We would love to help your business and make this transition easy!
Check out our other posts about Search Engine Optimization.