With SnapChat turning GeoFilters into a new Ad Unit, the ability to create and customize GeoFilters has turned into one of our newest services here at Yelling Mule. Based on your target demographic and territory, we can design and submit fun and engaging filters to specific audiences at specific events!
On Monday, McDonald’s became the 1st company to pay Snapchat to run a geofilter advertising campaign. The geofilter covers over 14,000 McDonald’s locations across the United States.
SnapChat has opened up the ability to create geofilters to everyone, but you cannot use specific logos or trademarks, which is where their monetization model comes into play. SnapChat is currently beta testing with several brands (like McDonald’s), but they will be launching a more fine-tuned product later in 2015.
For now, you can submit designs in an easy 3 Step Process, which will need to be approved by the SnapChat Team before they go live in your requested area. Before submitting any geofilter designs, you will want to read their Submission Guidelines to make sure you play by the rules (and don’t waste your time). Some of the most important submission guidelines are:
- Businesses are not currently eligible for Community Geofilters.
- Draw your geofence thoughtfully, it should only cover the relevant area.
- Keep it local. Do not cover an entire Country, State or Province.
- Select a public place, neighborhood, landmark, venue or other location where people are likely to gather and send Snaps.
- All graphics used must be 100% original.
- Absolutely no logos or trademarks, including school crests and similar marks.
- Be creative and make it visually compelling.
- Don’t cover up too much of the screen.
- Make sure it’s relevant to the location and something that people will want to use.
- Provide a good description, including any relevant dates.
- Files should be 1080px wide.
- Files should be under 300KB (for PNGs).
Here’s the 2 steps to starting your own SnapChat geofilter setup:
Step 1: Go to their GeoFilters page and select “Let’s Do It!”
Step 2: Submit your transparent PNG. (Dimensions = 1080 x 1920 pixels)
Step 3: Click on the Map to start drawing your Geofence.
Enter your details, click Submit!
Want to have a custom GeoFilter built for your company and/or an event coming up? Let us know!
Check out our other posts about Snapchat.